Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

How Busy Life is!

We are definitely in the thick of it right now!  Ryan and I just started our Masters programs last Wednesday and it's all becoming a bit real.  Mondays and Wednesday we leave for work around 7am and don't return until after 10pm, exhausted from a full day of sitting and brain activity.  Of course we have homework to do on the other nights of the week (or save it until the weekend).

Eventually I will add another 2 classes into the mix:  An IS management class, maybe I can get Ryan to take my tests for me?, and a study abroad prep course.  I will be going to China for 3 weeks in January:  2 weeks to study the development of a supply chain network & completing a live case study for Lenovo (Chinese computer company, huge there and here!) and one week for work.  Here's to class 4 nights a week, though, it won't be much different than class 2 nights a week with conference calls the other two nights like I am currently doing.  Thank God for a great husband to keep me sane and help me around the apartment!

So China:  I currently work extensively with General Mills' Chinese counterparts on Capital Investments (Plants, production lines, machines, buildings, etc).  China business is BOOMING and General Mills is growing it's International business quickly.  This class opportunity is perfectly fitting for my job, will expose me to Chinese culture AND I will get to spend a week working at General Mills China!  I have not yet done any research on specifics, but I am confident this will be the trip of lifetime. Ok, I've done about 7 trips of lifetime already, what can I say?  I love learning about other cultures and given how important it is now in business to understand other economies, cultures and to learn how to adjust your communication & working styles to maximize career relationships, I just could not pass up this opportunity!!!!

Ryan is a bit jealous I get to go do this, so the next goal is to find a way to get him somewhere exotic to further his education as well!  I can't help but think:  What better place than India?  It's a huge technology hub, also growing quickly and is extremely diverse.

In other news,  we're well on our way to finish the Twin Cities Marathon.  With 3 more weeks to go, we've finished our 20-miler.  Twenty miles is the furthest you typically train because the assumption is that adrenaline will carry you the remaining 6.  Also, by about mile 16-18, you really can't feel anything anyways.  We're hoping for good weather, minimal breezes and lots of cheering fans to urge us along.

As usual, life in the Nordy household is exciting, dynamic and oh so busy!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with school! Your hectic schedule will be over before you know it. Just remember it's just a temporary life season and it will eventually go back to "normal" (whatever that means to you). Your China trip sounds really awesome. Ryan should do the UST Hong Kong study abroad. I've heard it's fantastic. You guys have already conquered Europe, so he'd probably not be interested in the Berlin or London study abroad (although Mike and I thought London was awesome), but Ryan might love Hong Kong?? :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete